Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Things I Enjoy

I saw a hand-made sign today on which various students had posted messages about their commitments to action for the semester. One in particular caught my eye:

"I'm committed to being more apart of the freshman experience."

Why I enjoyed this:
(1) Because of one little typo, the sentence expresses the opposite of its (most likely) intended meaning.
(2) If there is no typo, it raises some serious questions about what the student had been doing previously that was so pernicious to the freshman experience, plus the level of self-awareness required to then make this pledge suggests an interesting example of akrasia.
(3) I don't know if anyone else has ever noticed this about the sign, and since I was a guest in another department's office, I didn't mention it and just tried to keep my giggling in.

And let's not talk about the use of "freshman" in place of the preferred term "first year."

No comments:

Post a Comment