Monday, February 16, 2009

Today's Links

For all the other unemployed drug addicts forced to live on cat food out there who missed it, there was an article in Newsweek recently which fits the theme here:

Barack and Michelle: The Millennial's Dream Couple

A lot of people I know do seem a little too obsessed with the President and First Lady, though plenty of them are Boomers or Gen-Xers too. Still, I like taxonomies in general, and I particularly enjoy anything that attempts to classify or describe millennials, so let's add this one to the heap.

(Exception to the rule: the woman I met on Saturday who said, "I hope I'm not being presumptuous, but you look like a millennial," before she told me about the millennials at her work asking about what volunteer opportunities were available and scoffing that the desire to have these opportunities provided seemed to her to be a continuation of the scheduled play-dates with which millennials were raised. Not only has this connection been made before, lady, but I'm not entirely sure you should hold strangers to task for the actions of their larger demographic group. In fact, that may be a definition of prejudice. Plus, no one was talking about millennials; you just brought it up un-motivated, which was conversational awkwardness verging on inconsiderateness. And lastly, not to resort to ad hominem or to be off-topic myself, but I don't think anyone with large, blockish, orange glasses and wearing that many layers or colors -- i.e., someone who clearly goes to such effort to look hipster -- should really be critical of millennials who, when all is said and done, are the preeminent arbiters of all which is hipster.)

No comments:

Post a Comment